Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sunday's Homily

     To say there's been a bit on my mind lately would be an understatement. This weekend was dedicated to a lot of thinking (and a lot of drinking) along with some good thought cruises (I drive around southern Illinois listening to music and thinking. Strange? Maybe. Oh well, there's no better way to think then to be surrounded by nothing but nature, tunes, and the open road. Southern Illinois is perfect for such an activity). Normally I don't feel the need to share what I think about on my cruises but this really really helped set my mind right and I think carries a universal message that everyone can relate to at some level...
     Life. As individuals we are constantly striving to figure our lives out or just the meaning of life in general. That's where I'm currently finding flaw in our design as individuals. Why should we sit around and waste time trying to figure life out or what it "should" be in conjunction to what we actually have. Life is happening on a second-by-second basis all around us and as such should be lived on a second-by-second basis. Yeah, it's good to have an idea of where you want to go with it but that's the important thing to remember. It's where YOU want to go with it. It's not where your parents want it to go, where your friends think it should go, or hell even where some cracked-out fortune teller tells you it should go. There is no correct way of doing things, there are just methods that others have already done which we look at and decide whether or not it is the way/direction we would like to take as well. If we don't like them then we create our own paths. That alone is a subtle beauty of this thing we call life.
     People are always using the analogy of life being a glass of water either half full or half empty. I've thought about this analogy countless times and I've honestly never been able to decide which way to see it. It's not because I'm torn between the half completed/half wasted aspect of the matter it's just that I think the whole analogy is stupid in the first place. It is a perfect example of overthinking. Why are we trying to equate life to a glass of water? Let's overthink this a little more. Hell let's just turn our brains into never-ceasing thought traps of worries, concerns, and misintentioned beliefs while we're at it. No. This is where I'm putting my foot down and saying it's stupid. Life is not a glass of water. We are not meant to sit around and think like this. We have the ability to laugh, love, play, create and in general ENJOY LIFE.
     So what I'm getting at is do just that, because from here on out I intend to. Be happy, laugh and smile everyday, find that person you care most about and kiss them everyday just to let them know you care. We live in a beautiful world that often gets overshadowed by tragedy, worry, past regret, and concern. If you stop and think about anything today let it be, "I think I want to smile right now." Then do it. It's great, and naturally everything else seems to fall into place around you. Figure out who it is you truly care about and let them know it. Say the awkward things that are on your mind, who cares. If life is truly a glass of water then I'm going to stick a straw in it and blow air bubbles. Life is life, it's that simple. Now let's start enjoying it a bit shall we?


Also, 10 Ways to promote happiness
  

No comments:

Post a Comment