Monday, February 21, 2011

In Memoriam

      Ah Monday, here we meet again. And if here we meet then it must mean a weekend has passed. What is happening to time and why won't it just slow down a little? Just yesterday I was maybe 5 years old running around a garage sale that my Great-Grandma was having at her house. It was a canary yellow house if I do recall. I dunno, it's hard to remember sometimes because it was sold to Illinois Wesleyan when I was pretty young and then demolished for a library before being able to form absolute memories of it. Regardless, there is one that I recall, and what do ya know? It's because I get wounded. Life story really.
    That brings us back to the garage sale and a game of tag amongst myself and some kinship. Typically people have some sort of filler to compliment the area under an exterior windowsill whether it be bushes, gardens, gnomes, lawn flamingos etc. etc...you get the idea. My great grandmother had cacti. They weren't huge cacti either. I'm talking 4-5 inches tall and maybe 6 inches wide. Reeeeeaal intimidating, I promise. But there they are, right there in a neat line around the side of the house. During this game of tag though I just happened to step upon one of those little buggers while barefoot. I remember thinking that if the devil had appeared right then and offered to trade my right nut in order to avoid that cactus I would have...ok. That was a lie. I was only like 5. I just remember crying like a little girl and then walking it off like a man. Haha but cacti? Who does that? I can sit around and wonder where my oddity comes from but I think this walk down memory lane has taught me a very important lesson: it's been passed down from generation to generation from the family. Years in the making, like a fine wine if you will.... It's only getting better with time.
     I found out early Sunday morning that my Great-Grandmother had passed away. Her last remaining sibling had passed away 2 weeks ago making the timing almost seem like it was meant to be. As I mentioned earlier there are only so many ways to explain where someone gets alot of their behaviors and virtues before you realize family is one of, if not the, main contributors. For that I would like to forever remember my Great-Grandma Kohler and the legacy she has left behind in myself and all of my family and its growth forever to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment